Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Online Storage

Recently I began to think about the security of online document storage applications such as Google Docs and Microsoft Office Live Workspace. Here is a scenario which is probably a long shot however, as users of technology and the web I believe we should be aware.

In this scenario Sally, an avid user of an online document storage service is using the application to store a novel she is writing. Sally has just made the final edits of her document before she sends the novel to her publisher. To Sally's surprise she turns on the news to see a story of a new book just released. As Sally, listens to the review she realizes the novel is her story. She is utterly dismayed on how this could have happened.

Most people myself included do not not take the time to read the privacy and terms of use when you sign up to use an online document storage service. In the volatile market many companies are selling to other companies and terms of use could change at any moment. Unless you read the terms of use policy every day you could possibly miss a line that might say something to the fact of anything stored on this site is the property of the web site. The moral of the story is do not store anything in an Internet based document service that is really important.

4 comments:

David A said...

I agree; however, I use Norton 360 which includes online storage. As far as I'm concerned, These documents are safe (I have been using Norton products for several years).

"Tabasco Jack" Reece said...

I too, wonder about the security of anything stored on-line or on remote servers. Yea, they're supposed to be secure but not a week goes by that you don't hear sombody's system got hacked and another 1000 people have to worry about ID theft.
I've not had any problems, but in the last few years at least 3 organizations I've been involved with have been hacked. Scary.

Like a current radio ad states, "don't put anything on-line you wouldn't put on the door to the neighborhood grocery store."

Nicky Sky said...

You bring out an very interesting point. I know this sounds nieve but I have never even thought about the security of google doc. I guess that would be something to think very heavily on before deciding to have students do a project using google doc that would be harmful it is was stolen. Very eye opening, thanks!!

Ann O said...

A lot of people have even found themselves in worse situations.A couple once found their very personal movie on the internet.Some weeks ago one of the news networks ran a story about multinational companies using viral pictures posted online by individuals without permission. Like you said anything that cannot be spared should not be left at the glare of the public.