
Today over the course of my workday I drove about 3 hours. I enjoy this time in my car because this driving time is learning time for me. Today I listened to several educational technology podcast. In fact, I listened to so many I can't remember which podcast I heard the following scenario. During one podcast someone discussed made a statement that made me really think. This person was discussing a teacher who she consider to be a great traditional teacher. This teacher had just been given an interactive whiteboard to use in her classroom. The question is "Will this new technology tool make the individual a better teacher?" The speaker came to the conclusion that the new tool did not make the person a better teacher the tool simply gives the teacher more options.
Coming from a mathematics background I like to reason things by solving a similar problem. I have thought about this scenario trying to apply this to other professions. I thought about a carpenter. A skilled carpenter might make a bookcase with manual hand tools. However, if you grant this carpenter power tools the carpenter can more efficiently make the bookcase. The carpenter could use some of the old tools with some of the new power tools. So in essence I guess the new tools gave the carpenter more options. Therefore, if I think about the teacher in this way the tool does not make the teacher better at what she does but it will certainly give her more tools for her toolkit.
Coming from a mathematics background I like to reason things by solving a similar problem. I have thought about this scenario trying to apply this to other professions. I thought about a carpenter. A skilled carpenter might make a bookcase with manual hand tools. However, if you grant this carpenter power tools the carpenter can more efficiently make the bookcase. The carpenter could use some of the old tools with some of the new power tools. So in essence I guess the new tools gave the carpenter more options. Therefore, if I think about the teacher in this way the tool does not make the teacher better at what she does but it will certainly give her more tools for her toolkit.
2 comments:
TOOLS!!!
Now we're talking! I love my power tools, but I love my hand tools even more. Often times I find it quicker or easier to use the old fashioned hand tools. It just depends on the job at hand. Measure twice, cut once, right Norm?
JR
Hello Jennifer,
To continue your analogy to carpentry--A person can own a whole garage full of stuff--circular saws, hammers, and other power tools, but have no idea how to build anything with these.
Either s/he must teach themselves or learn from Dad, or buy a "how to" book. But nothing is going to get made, until the person understands some fundamentals AND practices with the tools!
Diane
Post a Comment