Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Wordle - Beatutiful Word Clouds


Wordle is a website I was first introduced to by my friends at First District Educational Technology Center during their T3 Grant kick off.

A "Wordle" lets you see how often words appear in a given text. Wordle also lets you see the relationship between a column of words and a column of numbers. Wordle allows you to customize your look by changing the font and colors.

Here are a few classroom uses of Wordle.
  • Copy and paste a students essay into "Wordle" to look for words that might be over used. Encourage students to revise some of the words so they are not repeated as often.
  • Discover the main idea of an essay by copy and pasting the text into "Wordle" look for the repeated words to be the largest.
  • Use "Wordle" as a way to create your word wall.
To create the "Wordle" above I used text from this blog. Click on the image and you can see more detail of the "Wordle" There are many more advanced features of "Wordle" but I will let you discover those for yourself.

4 comments:

Dr. Baylen said...

Great example of a tool and its possible applications in the classroom -- Dr. B

"Tabasco Jack" Reece said...

I tried it today and found this to be a cool tool. But due to a reeeaally slow internet I couldn't copy or link it to my assignment. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks

JR

Jennifer Armstrong said...

There are lots of ways to save the image but I decided to go with the following. I made a screen shot of the wordle and then pasted the shot to power point. I then saved the power point as a jpg so I could upload to the blog.

David A said...

I also tried this and I love it. I'm going to use it in my Language Arts class.