The Nerd Lounge is a place to spotlight some amazing educational technology tools including, websites, apps, and other cool tools to inspire innovation in education.
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Random Playing Cards
Last week, a math teacher I was working with was using playing cards to teach adding and subtracting integers. The red cards represented positive numbers and the black cards represented negative numbers. The math teacher asked me if I knew of a website that would randomly pick playing cards so he could use his interactive whiteboard for the lesson instead of a deck of cards. Initially, I suggested the teacher open up a solitaire game and use the cards he saw for his math problems. Then I discovered the website Random.org. This site was perfect for his lesson because you could pick the number of decks you want included as well as the specific cards you would like in your deck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hey Jennifer
I like this Random site! I tried it out and enjoyed the coin toss. I had never seen a $50 gold piece before.
JR
Jennifer,
This is another example of a tech coordinator going the extra distance to help a teacher. Your first suggestion was to open up Solitaire--which is fine--but then you presented to your teacher another option. The information trail continues on...
I would use this in a math class to teach probablity as well!
Thank you! Diane
Post a Comment